May 18, 2010

A Delayed Wine Orgasm

I'll admit, I know almost nothing about wines. Therefore, I find the task of wine pairings daunting. There was an easy solution though, I just go to the Wine Gallery and stand in front of their wine jukebox, tasting wines while discussing my menu with the attendant. I always have my arms full of wine in no time, and I feel like I am making informed decisions for every course.

As with the Casalone Mariposa, sometimes I am not given any freedom when pairing wines. As soon as I mentioned my intentions to make chocolate mascarpone mousse, my wine guru started moaning with delight (about the wine, not the mousse) and led me straight to this bottle of sparkling red dessert wine. I hesitated at the price, but she shoved it into my hands anyway, exclaiming that this would be the wine I served. Uncomfortable with her effusive reaction, I just took the bottle and made a run for it.

Later, at the dinner, I was making a comment about how overly excited people at the wine store were about this particular pairing. I couldn't understand how someone could react so strongly about a wine pairing. But, a few minutes later, there were in fact moans and groans from around the table as people experienced this for themselves. It turns out that the guru's response was completely legitimate and I only wish that I could've been more appreciative when she was giving me the original description of strawberry and chocolate heaven.

2 comments:

  1. I demand the Dinner Project go on tour to the West Coast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There'll be a DP brunch in NY soon... you just have to make a request.

    ReplyDelete